We asked non-American members of the TheNews.Top Community to tell us a dish from their country that the United States has totally ruined. Here are their complaints:
1. Drowning Chinese food in sauce and grease.
2. Using croissants for sandwiches.
3. Hummus as a “healthy” or “low-carb” snack.
4. Smearing frosting on cinnamon rolls.
5. Using hard shell tacos and pretty much every other stereotypical ingredient involved in an American “taco night.”
6. Putting too much cream in Indian food.
7. Heating up avocado.
8. Making spaghetti with tomato sauce, but not using any garlic, onions, or spices to add flavor.
9. Mixing wasabi in soy sauce and using ginger as a sushi topping.
10. Using tea bags and heating the water in the microwave.
11. “Hipster” banh mi sandwiches.
12. Smearing Vegemite thickly on toast.
13. “Pierogies” with cheddar cheese.
14. Low-quality fish and chips.
15. Putting anything besides fries, cheese curds, and gravy in poutine.
16. Making carbonara with cream sauce.
17. Putting a meal on a smaller plate and calling it “tapas.”
18. Adding pasta to goulash.
19. Serving lamb with mint jelly.
20. The invention of deep-dish pizza.
21. Using tea bags for chai and calling it “chai tea.”
22. The invention of crab rangoon.
23. Wrapping hot dogs in a pastry (aka pigs in a blanket) instead of in bacon.
24. Making chocolate that tastes both too sweet and too bland.
25. Assembling poke in a line with a lot of ingredients.
26. Putting chorizo and hard-boiled eggs in paella.
27. Preparing French dressing with mayonnaise and ketchup.
28. Adding shrimp and seafood to pho.
29. Making bubble tea “smoothies.”
30. Putting cream cheese and fruit in sushi.
Some submissions have been edited for clarity and grammar.